I cup chopped ginger
2 cups of brown sugar
3 cups of freshly chopped coconuts
3 cups of water
1. Chop a quarter of a pound of pealed fresh ginger that has been cut into small pieces in a blender using the chop setting. Use only enough water to make the blender operate smoothly.
2. In a large uncovered cooking pot mix one cup of this chopped ginger and water, 2 cups of brown sugar, 3 cups of firmly packed coconut and 3 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil and reduce the flame to
medium to high. Allow the mixture to cook until it thickens. Reduce the flame to low to medium.
3. Use a large spoon to continuously turn the mixture to prevent it from burning or sticking to the cooking pot. The idea is to cook the mixture until the sugar begins to caramelize.
4. When sugar begins to form at the bottom of the cooking pot and it is very difficult to turn the mixture with the spoon, reduce the flame to the lowest setting. Use a tablespoon to spoon the mixture and drop it onto the smooth side of aluminum foil or into a baking pan.
5. You may use more fancy methods such as special forms to shape the drops in any desired shape. Allow to cool.