- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a large mixing bowl. Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture forms marble-sizeddough balls. Add the water 1 teaspoon at a time, just enough to bring the dough together with a firm consistency.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pot over medium-low heat until hot
- Break off pieces and Form the dough into slightly flattened biscuits, about 2 inches across. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough well, for about five minutes.
- Fry the Johnny Cakes, uncrowded, in the hot oil only until they become golden–(Approx about 2- 3 minutes)
- Remove the Johnny cakes with and drain on a paper towels to absorb the extra vegetable oil.
- Johnny cakes are usually served for breakfast with Bully Beef or Ackees. (Serves 6)